Index Forums Tutorials improving your Q2A site's SEO

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Towhid 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Towhid
    Keymaster

here I’m going to post most useful Question2Answer tricks to improve your sites SEO

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #1: use SiteMap

Q2A comes with a default XML Sitemap Generator plugin. it’s available in “Admin > Plugins”. make sure to activate it and submit your sitemap to google’s webmaster tool!

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #2: Add “related questions” widget to your site

it’s one of the best tools for creating better internal links and relating content in your site and increasing bounce rate. to add it’s widged visit “Admin > layout” and click on link near “Related Questions” and add it in button of main area or sidebar.

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #4: improving Q2A Tags

Tags are very important for Search Engine Optimization, but you will need to enrich them first. use Q2A Tag Descriptions Plugin which let’s you add title to tags and content to each pages layer. read more about it.

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #5: Improve Internal Links
    adding “Related Questions” widget can help with internal links but most important links are inside content which are useless by default, because Q2A adds rel=”nofollow” attribute to it which will make it worthless for the page it’s pointing to. this feature is great for fighting spams but you can disable it for internal links so your site will benefit from internal links in the content. to do this use Q2A SEO links plugin. read more about it.

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #3: Robots.txt file

robot.txt file let’s search engines know which URL’s they should visit and which to ignore. it’s a good way of preventing them from visiting pages with no keywords and wasting SEO juice of your pages. here is the robots.txt file which I use in an stand alone Q2A installation:

User-agent: *
    # For Q&A Site
    Disallow: /login
    Disallow: /ask
    Disallow: /forgot
    Disallow: /register
    Disallow: /questions?sort
    Disallow: /chat
    Disallow: /admin
    Disallow: /activity/*
    Disallow: /questions/*
    # allow google image bot to search all images
    User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Allow: /*
    Sitemap: http://my-Q2A-site.com/sitemap.xml

and here is the one I use for WP & Q2A integrations:

User-agent: *
    # For WordPress Portal
    Disallow: /WP/feed/
    Disallow: /WP/tag/
    Disallow: /WP/trackback/
    Disallow: /WP/cgi-bin/
    Disallow: /WP/wp-admin/
    Disallow: /WP/wp-content/plugins
    Disallow: /WP/wp-content/cache
    Disallow: /WP/wp-
    Disallow: /WP/wp-includes/
    Disallow: /WP/trackback/
    Disallow: /WP/xmlrpc.php
    Disallow: ?wptheme=
    Disallow: /*.php*

Allow: /WP/media-files/

# For Q2A Site
    Disallow: /login
    Disallow: /ask
    Disallow: /forgot
    Disallow: /register
    Disallow: /questions?sort
    Disallow: /admin
    Disallow: /activity/*
    Disallow: /questions/*
    # allow google image bot to search all images
    User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Allow: /*

Sitemap: http://my-Q2A-site.com/sitemap-index.xml

Also I use a Network Sitemap to include both my Q2A and WP sitemaps in one XML file.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  Towhid. Reason: NoIndex activity and question page for categories to prevent duplicate content

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #6: use beautiful permalinks

you can use shorter and more readable permalinks which improves your Q2A site’s SEO too. in “admin > general” choose first option: “/123/why-do-birds-sing (requires htaccess file)“. also it’s better to use a medial URL length. you can change it in “admin > lists > Question title length in URLs”. I usually use 30 which shows first 3 or 4 words most of the time.

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #7: Enrich your tags with Q2A Tag Descriptions plugin

Use Q2A Tag Descriptions Plugin to add title to question tags and description to each tag’s page. it can greatly increase number and hits for each keyword used in tags.

Towhid
    Keymaster

Tip #8: make your URLs shorter and meaningful

Use URL Customizer Plugin to clean your URL from common words which don’t have any value as keywords. Search engines will like shorter urls and it external links with URL as title of links will have better keywords.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.